Saturday, July 26, 2008

CIOS 110 Lesson 9 #2

Hmmm. Living in the woods, I don't have any security set up on our wireless network. Maybe that's not such a good idea, especially since I came across the concept of Wardriving and wireless hacking. Am I foolish for thinking that living remotely makes me safer?

At work, we have high security on our networks. We use Cisco and VPNs, which I will be using as I access the network from Connecticut during a family emergency. This is the problem with technology - I may have to leave the state for a while, but I'll still be able to work. Boo!!! I think that this is probably the greatest asset of wireless security, though - being able to access servers from anywhere in the world allows a company to have employees in different locations to still have access to the same resources.

Cicso offers Firewalls, attack and intrusion protection, spam and virus protection, virtual private networks and network admission control. 3Com has firewalls, secure NIC cards, wireless intrusion prevention and unified security platforms. I tried poking around the Alcatel-Lucent website as well, but their navigation system took me in many circles and I was unable to find information on what they offer, only long blocks of text telling me that they offer security.

If I were shopping for security options for my network, I would skip Alcatel-Lucent because their website was frustrating and didn't tell me anything. While 3Com offers several good security measures, I would probably opt for something from Cisco because we use it at work. If the Dept of Defense and the supercomputing center think it's good enough, it probably will work fine for me.

No comments: